It’s been another vintage year for rock and metal in all of its various guises. And once again we’ve been spoilt for choice in picking our top 20.
Read on to see which band grabbed the coveted Album Of The Year title – and check out whether your favourite made the cut.
We said: TTM’s self-titled debut is rich in promise and more than justifies the band’s nomination in this year’s Classic Rock Magazine Best New Band category. Listen to this and you’ll ask yourself ‘can there be another contender?’ Planet Rock favourite Only Friend – the track that broke the band at the back end of last year – sounds fresher than ever while set closer Smouldering perfectly sums up one of the hottest new bands on the planet. Fans of Zeppelin, Free, Bad Company, Frankie Miller, vintage Whitesnake and, of course, the Rival Sons should delight in a record that will revitalise the UK scene. There Ain’t No Telling just how far this brilliant band can go.
thequietus.com said: Essentially, TTM recognize that the fundamental blues-rock template is two-fold: either a) be unafraid to get your overdrive-ridden cahoonas out for all to see or b) take the mood down with a sensual bluesy ballad. Opener ‘Only Friend’ is emblematic of TTM in balls out mode – crunching tweed guitar and vocalist Phil Campbell singing like an atomic strength case of strep throat beating the living crap out of the local Lockets factory. Add to that lyrics of love and loss and hard times and you have compelling stuff.
2. Kvelertak – Meir (Roadrunner)
3. The Tedeschi Trucks Band – Made Up Mind (Sony)
4. Death Angel – The Dream Calls For Blood (Nuclear Blast)
5. Avenged Sevenfold – Hail To The King (Warner Bros)
6. Free Fall – Power And Volume (Nuclear Blast)
7. Audrey Horne – Youngblood (Napalm)
8. Clutch – Earth Rocker (Weathermaker Music)
9. Steven Wilson – The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) (Kscope)
10. Quireboys – Beautiful Curse (Off Yer Rocker)
11. Bai Bang – All Around The World (AOR Heaven)
12. Reckless Love – Spirit (Spinefarm)
13. Huntress – Starbound (Napalm)
14. Scorpion Child – Scorpion Child (Nuclear Blast)
15. Queensryche – Queensryche (Century Media)
16. Lissie – Back To Forever (Columbia)
17. Blues Pills – Devil Man EP (Nuclear Blast)
18. Dregen – Dregen (Spinefarm)
19. Megadeth – Super Collider (Tradecraft/Universal)
20. Stryper – No More Hell To Pay (Frontiers)