As another year draws to the close our key contributors cast their mind back to the top picks of 2019. And talking of top pics here’s photo-journalist John Burrows’ leading contenders.
10. Alter Bridge – Walk the Sky (Napalm)
Who would have known that by taking on a touch of Bon Jovi, Alter Bridge would finally deliver a worthy successor to Blackbird!
9. Gary Clarke Jr – This Land (Warner)
I’m still not sure he’s filled his full potential but this is absolutely a step in the right direction. He’s finding his sound more with every album and that’s enough to justify a top 10 position.
8. Lana Del Rey – Norman Fucking Rockwell (Polydor)
This album affirms Del Rey’s position as one of the greatest songwriters alive. Breathtaking.
7. Florida Georgia Line – Can’t Say I Ain’t Country (BMLG Records)
FGL take back the country radio waves. This one is all killer and no filler.
6. American Football – American Football (LP3) (Polyvinyl)
The best new wave emo band on the planet. Melodies galore.
5. Hootie & The Blowfish – Imperfect Circle (Snakefarm)
Darius and Co. prove there’s life in the old dog yet. It may have started as a reunion tour for the fans, but the new songs on display here sit just as highly as anything post-Cracked Rear View.
4. Reese Wynans – Sweet Release (Mascot)
A breathtaking album of the highest blues quality, Sweet Release is more than a rehash of the SRV catalogue. This is worth your time.
3. Sturgill Simpson – Sound & Fury (Elektra)
Experimental and balls to the wall, plus the best album cover I’ve seen in years.
2. Delbert McClinton – Tall, Dark, and Handsome (Hot Shot Records)
The greatest blues record you’ll hear this year, layering poetic lyrics over all flavours of Americana. Get your dancing shoes on!
1. The Darkness – Easter Is Cancelled (Cooking Vinyl)
A stunning piece of work from Justin and co. If you’re going to call out the entire rock genre for not stepping up to the plate then you have to deliver. And this is a masterpiece!